Thursday, December 5, 2013

Bad Taste


Seeing the full page Nando’s SANRAL advert in my newspaper this morning, triggered a memory from two years ago. I was presenting a 16Days Awareness programme to my staff and we were discussing issues around respect and responsible sexual behaviour. A young married man put up his hand and said, and I quote verbatim, “But the girls make it so easy to get the sex. I just buy them chicken and they give me.”

 Laughter broke out and a chorus of fast food chicken supplier names were soon flying across the room;

 “KFC”

“Finger licking good”

“Nando’s”

“Is so good, so nice” said one fellow who stood up and actually did a pelvic thrust. Twerking as it is now known.

The reality of young girls having sex with married men in exchange for takeout chicken broke my heart into a million pieces.

 It was difficult getting that young father to understand how exploitive his actions were. Whether I managed to convince him that his actions were wrong remains unknown to me. But I tried because I believe education and prevention go hand in hand.

I wonder if Nando’s is aware that their product is used as a sexual exchange commodity in communities rife with sexual exploitation and violence. Is it their fault? Of course not. But ignorance is never an excuse. Perpetuating the belief that one is “entitled” to “go all the way” as they put it in their advert, when one buys dinner for another, is irresponsible and reckless in a country known as the rape capital of the world.

 Shame on you Nando’s! Your advert has left a bad taste in my mouth.

 

 

2 comments:

SpiritBeads said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SpiritBeads said...

I usually laugh at the Nandos ads but your post has given me pause. I agree ignorance is no excuse, after all advertising targets the propensity of the masses and sex sells, hence the innuendos (my view)Perhaps a challenge to Nandos to support sexual abuse awareness is in order?